Sunday, December 11, 2011

A home of truth...

     I've always struggled to find a church "home" where I felt comfortable.  Organized religions ~ 'denominations' ~ have always struck me as being something man made... and the fact that they call them 'denominations,' the same term used in reference to money hasn't been overlooked. 

Source

      I didn't grow up with a strong church 'home.'  It's hard to do that when you pack and move every two or three years.  I would go to whatever church my friends at school went to (Presbyterian, Baptist, Pentecostal).  I identified as a Protestant because that was the other option from Catholic at military bases. 

     As I got older, I would visit different churches with co-workers (Assembly of God), boyfriends (Lutheran, Episcopal), my Dad (Methodist) or his lady-friend (Catholic).  I identified as a Christian, non-denominational.

    I began to believe that organized religion became over the centuries mans' interpretations of God's word in a way that best fit their lives, a way for the rich to get richer, a way to judge and condemn those who were different, a way to become educated.  I felt closer to God, and more in His house when I was at the beach, than in any building made of wood or stone. 

     Those organized religions ~ denominations ~ were not necessarily how God intended His word to be used, but became ways that made followers less uncomfortable in their skin.  I don't think God intended our walk with Him to be easy or comfortable.  I believe that God wants us to strive to be like Him.  To have faith in Him in the good and the bad times.  The ups and downs.  The trials and celebrations.  When we can be in our darkest hour and praise him for the light that we know will come.

     Even without a strong church upbringing, I have always believed and always sought Him in all that I do because I think that for a book... a belief... to have lasted so long, to have had so many who lived or died for it... there is ultimately a truth in it.

     A truth... that there is something bigger than us out there, something stronger than us, and by believing in that... having faith that we are here for a purpose and that our lives are not simply chance atoms that collided... there is a strength in that which gives us hope to do the impossible, and a reason to continue to wake up every day knowing that He is blessing us each and every day, whether or not we see it at the time.

13 But we ought always to thank God for you, brothers and sisters loved by the Lord, because God chose you to be saved through the sanctifying work of the Spirit and through belief in the truth.
~ 2 Thessalonians 1:13 ~ 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and reading my words...

All comments are moderated, so they will not appear immediately.