Monday, December 12, 2011

Scars...

     This morning I had a 'why did I schedule it so early' appointment at the dermatologist's office.  I needed to have some basal cell skin cancer sliced off of my chest, right over my clavicle bone.  A place where the skin is thin, the bone close to the surface, and where most of my winter shirts and sweaters will rub and irritate it.

     Sometimes our mind lets us forget things so that we will stress less, and relax more.  I didn't remember my appointment until early this morning when the alarm clock went off.  If I had spent the weekend remembering it, I'm sure I would have worried about how much they would have to cut, how many stitches, how bad the pain, would they get it all or would I need to go back, would there be a scar...

     "People have scars.  In all sorts of unexpected places.  Like secret road maps of their personal histories.  Diagrams of all their old wounds.  Most of our wounds heal, leaving nothing behind but a scar.  But some of them don't.  Some wounds we carry with us everywhere and though the cut is long gone, the pain still lingers."
~ Unknown ~
Source
"Sometimes you have to fall from the mountain to realize what you are climbing for.  Obstacles are placed in our way to see if what we want is really worth fighting for.  From every wound there is a scar, and every scar tells a story.  A story that says, 'I was deeply wounded, but I survived.'"
~ Unknown ~

     Not all of our scars are visible, and it is usually the ones that others can't see that feel raw the longest.  Words or events can cut deeper than any knife into our minds and sometimes never completely heal.  Those things that we wish we could forget, replay over and over again in our mind.

     But the gift of our scars is that they are a reminder.  Call them battle scars or medals of honor, our scars... those seen and not seen... are proof that we can survive. 

     He conquered the enemy... and through Him, through Christ whose hands, feet and body bare the stripes of scars He took for us... we will also survive.

24 “He himself bore our sins” in his body on the cross, so that we might die to sins and live for righteousness; “by his wounds you have been healed.”
~ 1 Peter 2:24 ~

3 He heals the brokenhearted
   and binds up their wounds.
~ Psalm 147:3 ~

 4 Surely he took up our pain
   and bore our suffering,
yet we considered him punished by God,
   stricken by him, and afflicted.
5 But he was pierced for our transgressions,
   he was crushed for our iniquities;
the punishment that brought us peace was on him,
   and by his wounds we are healed.
6 We all, like sheep, have gone astray,
   each of us has turned to our own way;
and the LORD has laid on him
   the iniquity of us all.
~ Isaiah 53:4-6 ~

Update:  13 Dec 11
Always, ALWAYS, ALWAYS wear sunscreen!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and reading my words...

All comments are moderated, so they will not appear immediately.