Thursday, December 1, 2011

Thursday travels... Christmas in Germany


Heidelberg, Germany

      Castles are magical, whether they are in Germany, Scotland, or Disneyland.

     Christmas 2007 I took my first boat cruise on the Rhine River.  It had been a rough year with the death of my father, and my divorce the previous year.  The last thing I wanted to do was spend Christmas alone at home.

     So off I flew to Germany, where Christmas was spent with 49 other passengers on our small boat.  The only snow we had on the cruise was in Heidelberg.  But the trip was healing.  Reliving memories of some of the places I had visited as a child, especially a trip to the Gutenberg Museum in Mainz where I was able to purchase the smallest bible in the world... a souvenir that I once had, but had lost over the years after we returned.

     One of my favorite childhood Christmas memories of Germany was Saint Nicholas' Eve (Dec. 5) ... when we would put our shoes outside our bedroom door to be filled with candy and toys if we'd been good... or coal and switches if we'd been bad.  Over the years it became the time when we would also find our annual Christmas tree decoration.

     Christmas has always been my favorite time of year, filled with magic and love.  A time when we rejoice in the 'reason for the season' and delight in the angels that appear... those that visit us, and those we become for others.

     Find your magic this Christmas...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and reading my words...

All comments are moderated, so they will not appear immediately.