Wednesday, December 7, 2011

We never walk alone...

Source


10 If either of them falls down, one can help the other up. But pity anyone who falls and has no one to help them up. 11 Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm. But how can one keep warm alone? 12 Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken.
~ Ecclesiastes 4:10-12 ~

       When I first read this passage, I thought about all the difficult times in my life when I hit bottom so hard that it made my nose bleed.  I thought of those who had helped to lift me up, keep me warm, and defend me.  I realized that while some of those people came and went in my life, there has always been that third strand of cord that has been a constant.

     God has always been with me.  He has carried me when I thought I was walking alone, and when I was one of two... He was the cord that kept us tied together.

     It has never been God who has left us on the ground, alone, cold, and defenseless.  He is always with us, whether we believe or not.  He holds out His hand to lift us out of our despair, He wraps His arms around us to keep us warm, and it was His love for us that sent us His son to defend us against the evil that would have destroyed us.

     We are the ones who occasionally turn our backs on him, leaving His word on the ground, ignoring His outstretched hand, throwing back a cold shoulder, and leaving the armor His sacrifice made for us behind.  We are the arrogant ones who think we don't need Him, that we can walk alone through all that Satan throws at us.  We become self-righteous and indignant when someone tries to share their faith with us.  We shout out in anger at Him, "Why me?" and He waits silently and patiently until we realize... why not me?

     His love for us is always there, unconditional, patient, faithful, and forgiving.  All He ever asks of us is that we believe in Him as much as He believes in us.  That we reach up when we are down, and that we lift up those around us in His name.  That we wrap His warm assurance around us, and that we share that warmth with others in His name.  That we wear His armor, defend His name, and protect in prayer others in His name.

     He is the third strand that makes us whole, whether we are alone, or with another.  He is The One who does not break, The One who fixes us when we are broken.

     He is.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and reading my words...

All comments are moderated, so they will not appear immediately.