Friday, February 17, 2012

Good genes...

Grandma and me on her 90th
     On February 17th, 2001, my grandmother turned 90 years old.  My Aunt Nan threw a surprise party for her.  My Mom and Uncle Brian were there, so three of her four children, as well as several grandchildren (like me).

     She passed away a few months later, I'm sure if she had any say in the matter, she'd still be here ready to party at her 101st.

     Grandma won several of the local Senior Olympics for swimming well into her 80's.  She would flash a Vogue pose in her swimsuit for the newspapers.  She had both of her knees replaced and heart surgery, but she refused to let any of that keep her down.  She was stubborn that way

     I didn't see much of her growing up because we traveled so often, but she kept in touch by letters and packages.  I have a small wall quilt that she made for me as a housewarming gift in the mid-80's with her note card that came with it still pinned to the back of it.
Aunt Nan and Grandma in 1997 after a mountain hike.

     I'm funny that way.  Keeping little bits of notes, letters and things to remind me of people I love... and to remind me of how much they loved me.

     I got my red hair from Grandpa ~ her husband ~ and they were pretty thrilled to have a red-headed granddaughter to carry it on.  Now there are several 2nd cousins with red hair in the family... it's the gene that keeps on giving.

     My mom apparently got her longevity gene... so I'm grateful for that.

     I got Grandma's stubborn gene, and what an inheritance it has been!  I have some pretty large shoes... or rather swim fins... to fit into.

     I hope I do her proud...

1 comment:

  1. What a lovely post. Thank you. I never knew any of my grandparents so I can only imagine what a thrill it must have been. I am a swimmer and love the fact that I could continue until my 80s.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and reading my words...

All comments are moderated, so they will not appear immediately.