Saturday, April 14, 2012

Dad's Gifts...

     I am linking up with Kim and Frog Pond's Rock for her Sunday  [in Australia] Selections of photos.  While these are not ones that I have taken, they have been sitting too long in my files, and I wanted to share them to keep Dad alive somehow.  He has been gone now just over five years which seems hard to comprehend.  There are days, like today, when it feels as if it were yesterday...




     The project above was the audio table for a church.  His notes say that he just made a rough sketch of what they needed and then made it up as he went along. The top of it is a roll top that he had to work with cables in order for it to roll correctly.  This was just one of several projects that he donated to various churches around town.  This one being the St. Andrews Methodist Church.

     It was the same church where he restored this window below.  I couldn't find any other pictures in his files.  The one just beneath it is one I snagged from Google Maps Street view.  I remember this project of his because he had a difficult time getting the wood frames for the windows to bend the way he needed them to without breaking.  So he just built his own steam machine that softened the wood enough to make it pliable.



    In the photo below, he created an Ark for the Torah at the Temple B'nai Israel in the name of Lou Schatz, one of Dad's good friends.  He used 100 year old rough sown pine that he got from another remodel project three years prior.


6 comments:

  1. Truly beautiful and inspiring work. No wonder you miss him so much. Sometimes I still think 'I must tell father that' and he has been gone over twenty years. Gone, but not forgotten.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there are times when I think that Dad would have been proud of me for something. I think especially he would be proud of my blog and my books. He kept every single letter I wrote to him from the time I was 15 [when my parents divorced and I moved away] until well into my 30's. He told me that I should publish them in a book. I found them and read them after he died... then sent them all into the shredder. Some of them I was ashamed of my teenage 'know it all' rudeness towards him that was written out of hurt and anger over the divorce. Others... were just to personal to share, or would have been too damaging to others no longer in my life.

      Delete
  2. Oh how wonderful :) I admire clever men who can build things. The window is wonderful. When we started to build our home (room by room) the only tools that my husband had were a hammer, an axe and a chainsaw. Your photos here have made me smile, thanks Cindi.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are more to come of his work... He was a creative and genius carpenter.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you. Yes... he was very much so.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by and reading my words...

All comments are moderated, so they will not appear immediately.