Thursday, April 26, 2012

From the darkness... a ray of hope...

     My birthday isn't for another week and a half, but since I have no adult supervision at home, I open cards and packages as soon as they arrive.  No matter how many times Mom writes "DO NOT OPEN UNTIL 5 MAY" or "DO NOT OPEN UNTIL CHRISTMAS DAY" on the envelope or outside of the box.

     That is the wonderful thing about refusing to grow up and not having any adult supervision.  Every day can be a party.  You don't have to wait for one specific date on the calendar.

     Yesterday I received two cards in the mail.  There was nothing on the envelope stating that they were birthday cards so I opened them right away.

     Plausible deniability.

     One was a card from my Aunt in Arizona, who is so wonderful about always remembering to send a card for every occasion that I often feel guilty when I realize that a holiday or birthday has come and gone and I've not sent anyone a card.  Her card was joyful and sweet (it had a cake on the front of it).  The fact that it was bought at Trader Joe's made me think of the time I last saw her when we all gathered for a reunion, and I thought I could just live in Trader Joe's forever.  It brought a smile to my face and made my heart do a little happy dance.

     The second card was from my Uncle, now also in Arizona.  His card was the ray of hope... ray of light... that I desperately needed yesterday afternoon.

    
Wonderful are Your works...

     My Uncle's card had this quote on the front of it with a beautiful orange sunset and sailboat on the water painting:
"There are things only you can do,
and you are alive to do them.
In the great orchestra we call life,
you have an instrument and a song."
~ Max Lucado ~
Inside the cover of the card was this:
"I will give thanks to You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; 
Wonderful are Your works; 
And my soul knows it very well."
~ Psalm 139:14 (NASB) ~
The card read:
"God has blessed you with your own special gifts,
with a light that is uniquely yours.
Your birthday is the perfect time to celebrate your gifts...
and the wonderful person you are."

     While both cards brightened my mood tremendously, the message on my Uncle's card was the reminder that I needed.

     I am better than She-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named and all of her petty attempts to catch me in a lie just because I caught her in several.  She will fail.  I will prevail.  I know who I am.  I know what kind of person I am.  What kind of ethics I have.  I know that one day, she will find herself alone in the office because she has chased off everyone with her management 'style' of spying, accusations, and distrust.

     Yes, I am blessed.  Yes, I have a light that is uniquely mine... and if she can't see it or appreciate it... I will take it somewhere else.

1 comment:

  1. Happy UnBirthday in the lead up to your Birthday. Seems only right and proper to me.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and reading my words...

All comments are moderated, so they will not appear immediately.