Saturday, April 7, 2012

Snuzzled...

     The doorbell rang last night at ohdarkohclock.  Might have been before one in the morning.  I had just been woken by the husband, calling concerned because I had not answered the phone several tries before and he knew I sometimes fell asleep in the tub.

     The ringer had somehow been turned off on the bedroom phone.

     I don't normally answer the door after dark unless I'm expecting someone, and certainly wasn't expecting anyone at that time.

     Who is it? [BARK WOOF WOOF BARK GRRR BARK BARK GRRRRRR WOOF WOOF]


     It is N. [neighbor familiar voice tail on big dog wags]  I've got to take M [husband familiar name tail on big dog wags] to the emergency room.  Can you sit with the kids?


     Yes, of course.

     There are occasional times in my life when I wish I'd had a child.  That dream rises up and hits me between the eyes... or on the chin... as was the case with K after she woke crying and the two of us settled on the sofa to be comforted.  She, falling back asleep against the soft warmth of my robe... and me, to feel the soft warmth of her hug.
Photo snagged from mom's facebook page.  Isn't she beautiful?

1 comment:

Thanks for stopping by and reading my words...

All comments are moderated, so they will not appear immediately.