Monday, April 30, 2012

Texas things...

Things I will miss about Killeen/Ft. Hood, Texas when I leave:
  1. Shopping at the O Mart and wishing I could read Japanese.  "What IS that?" "I dunno.  You wanna try it?"  "No.  Do you?"  "No."  "Okay then, stop staring at it because it's creeping me out.  Let's find something we can read...."
  2. Hearing Taps played every night... and its echo across the valley.
  3. Being able to see the wisteria I planted really take over the pergola like I had planned.
  4. The big back yard at the rental house that the dogs really loved.
  5. Blue bonnets and wildflowers.
  6. The squawk, unique calls and chatter of the starlings and grackles.
  7. Having a fireplace... and a fire pit... I can sit and watch the flames dance for hours, just mesmerized and hypnotized.
  8. Fishing on the lakes, especially those days when we didn't catch a thing but just floated and talked.
  9. Living in a real house... no shared walls... no stairs... room for gardens in the yard... lots of windows.
  10. New neighbors/friends I've just met and made ... secret angels.

Things I will NOT miss about Killeen/Ft. Hood, Texas when I leave:
  1. Insane drivers and late afternoon traffic.  They really need to make all residents attend a driver's ed/anger management class every three months.
  2. Unrelenting summer heat and nine months without rain.  Large cracks in the back yard from the heat and drought that were a foot or more deep.  I always worried about Trooper or Henry breaking a leg, Trooper especially when he got one of his wild hairs and ran full speed in circles.
  3. The wind.  Not the occasional gentle breeze... but the hurricane force winds for days at a time.
  4. Stress from work slowly killing me.  Well... maybe not so slowly.
  5. The overwhelming feeling of nothingness, hopelessness, and helplessness.

2 comments:

  1. Although the number of things you will miss is bigger than the number of things you won't miss, it seems that all the weight is in the things you won't miss.
    Danger, heat, wind, stress and alienation cannot be offset easily.
    Be kind to yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I think for the first few weeks I am there, I shall just sit at the beach and become a mermaid again.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by and reading my words...

All comments are moderated, so they will not appear immediately.