Saturday, May 19, 2012

Beginnings...

"There is a good reason they call these ceremonies "commencement exercises." 
 Graduation is not the end; it's the beginning."
~ Orrin Hatch ~

     This morning [at an ungodly hour for a Saturday morning], David and I drove with his brother, Dwayne, to Alabama to watch David's oldest son graduate high school.

     Thomas graduated with a 4.0 average, an honors student who had taken advanced college prep courses.  He received a total of about $24,000 in scholarships for college.

"You are educated. Your certification is in your degree. 

 You may think of it as the ticket to the good life. 
 Let me ask you to think of an alternative. 
 Think of it as your ticket to change the world."

  ~ Tom Brokaw ~

     Graduates today have so many more opportunities than I did thirty-two years ago.  They also have so many more challenges than I did.  The world has changed...  Pluto is no longer a planet.  Countries have changed names and borders so many times if I had bought stock in a world globe company I'd be a billionaire by now.

     But with graduates like Thomas, I know that our country and our world are in good hands.  Technology advancements in the last thirty-two years don't limit graduates to just the sky.  Today's and tomorrow's graduates have no limits to what they can... and will... achieve and accomplish.  What an exciting time for them... and for all of us.


The future lies before you

Like a field of driven snow,
Be careful how you tread it,
For every step will show.
~Author Unknown

2 comments:

  1. What a lovely caring woman you are. And I love that final poem. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and reading my words...

All comments are moderated, so they will not appear immediately.