Monday, August 13, 2012

Colossians 3:13

13 Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you.

     In this journey through the New Testament, I have found it amazing that so often the scriptures I have chosen (in advance) are perfect for where I am each month.  I suppose amazing isn't the right word since there are no coincidences... all things happen for a reason.

     This has already been a month of reconciliation for me.  Forgiving... and being forgiven.  In doing so, I have found that I am able to let go of some of the pain of my past, and the weight of holding onto the pain caused by the rift between me and another.

     One person most of us forget to forgive, however, is ourselves.  We all can be our worst critics, holding ourselves to a higher standard than what we hold others to.  When we make mistakes... as we all do... we can often forgive someone else for the same mistake easier than we can forgive ourselves.  It is often the one "rift" with ourselves that causes us the most pain and the most discomfort.

     Whatever you are carrying on your shoulders today, whatever burden from mistakes you have not been able to let go of... forgive as the Lord forgave you.  Forgive yourself as the Lord forgave you.  I think when we are reminded to "love one another as I have loved you" we are also being reminded to love ourselves.  The first step to loving ourselves is learning to forgive ourselves.

     Forgive yourself.  Love yourself.  For you truly are worthy.

1 comment:

  1. Lovely image to go with your text. And yes, forgiving myself, and being gentle to myself are lessons I have yet to learn.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and reading my words...

All comments are moderated, so they will not appear immediately.