Sunday, August 19, 2012

Cooking with your mouth...

         Cooking with your mouth... and nose... as opposed to cooking with your eyes.  I didn't used to like to cook.  Baking was my thing because with baking you usually have to follow a specific recipe or things won't rise, or if they do rise, they will fall.  My 2nd husband used to tell me that we would starve to death if we had to eat my cooking all the time because I never cooked anything "right."

     So several years after I left him, I took cooking classes at Somethin's Cookin'.  Now I love to cook... with my mouth... and my nose.  I taste and smell what I'm cooking and add things that aren't in the recipe if my tongue tells me it needs something else.

     Cooking with your eyes, is just looking at a label on the store shelf and tossing it in your basket.  For example, barbeque sauce.

     Cooking with your mouth and nose, is taking ketchup, mustard, brown sugar (or honey), and strawberry preserves from the refrigerator.  Mixing them together in a pot on the stove, and cooking them down on a low temp until blended.  It is adding a few herbs and spices... like onion, garlic, and cilantro... and then tasting it to see if it needs more or something else.  Like maybe sometimes a splash of bourbon... or honey... or liquid smoke.  Or a dash of ancho chili peppers.

     Or taking a recipe... like today I tried one for New Mexico Pinto Beans which calls for ham, pinto beans, crushed red peppers, and garlic... and adding some more spices to it to make it dance on your tongue and fire up your nose.

     Sometimes the "right" way to cook is not the same way as someone else might think is "right."  But if it makes your tongue dance... who cares what he thinks...

1 comment:

  1. I don't believe that there is a 'right and wrong' in cooking. Do what works for you and yours. Which certainly involves eyes, nose and mouth. And what works for you comes first.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and reading my words...

All comments are moderated, so they will not appear immediately.