Saturday, August 11, 2012

Journeys...

    This was me in the fall of 1987.  I was in California, 25 years old, and didn't know that I was about to file for my first divorce in just a month.  I was married, some-what happy, and on the top of my small part of the world.  I believed in love.  I believed world peace was possible.  I believed in happily ever after.







     This was me in the summer of 2009.  I was in Florida, 47 years old, and very happily single.  I wasn't dating anyone, loved my life and my place in my small part of the world.  I had recently self-published my first book, had a good job, good friends, and a comfortable home.  I still believed that world peace was possible.  I still believed in happily ever after, but wasn't so sure any more about love.



      This was me in the late summer of 2011.  I was in Texas, 49 years old, and married again.  [Apparently I did believe in love after all.]  I had three self-published books under my belt, a good job, friends, and an amazing rental house I would have loved to own.  I still believed that world peace was possible, but was beginning to believe that “happily ever after” was just an urban myth.

      In our lives we travel many roads.  Some that don't go much past the edge of our hometowns, others that take us farther than we ever imagined we would go.  We have many different teachers in our lives, and many life lessons.  Some of those lessons we learn enough to be able to share them with others.  Other lessons we are destined to repeat again and again, becoming a lesson for others just by our painful example.

      If my now 50 year old self could go back to that 25 year old self and offer any word of advice for the next 25 years it would be this:  "Don't ever let anyone take your smile away from you.  Don't ever stop being happy, or stop believing in world peace, love and happily ever after.  Don't ever let anyone take away your joy or crush your spirit.  Don't ever stop believing in yourself.  Ever."

      I don't regret the roads I've taken in the last 25 years, the person I was then, or the person I have become.  These roads… lessons… have made me stronger than that 25 year old ever was.  And I'm just getting warmed up…

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and reading my words...

All comments are moderated, so they will not appear immediately.