Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Fall hummers...

     I have a bottle brush tree that I planted for the sole purpose of attracting hummingbirds in the spring and fall.

     Neighbors a few houses down used to have one that was almost as tall as their 2nd floor window.  After I moved into my home in 2001, each spring and fall it would be filled with the squeaks, pips, zooms, and rush of hummingbirds as they stopped on their journey north or south.  I loved to stand under that tree and just watch them, ducking as one brushed by my head in defense of the flowers it had chosen for its own.



     One day in 2008, I came home from work and the tree was gone.  For whatever reasons, the neighbors had decided to cut it down and put it into a chipper.  I was heartbroken and hoped that there had not been any nests with eggs in it.  Several months later, I scrimped and saved to have an old palm tree pulled up and my own bottle brush tree planted.

      It isn't yet as big as their tree was, but it is getting there, and today, I saw my first fall hummingbird.
     Life is good.  This may not be my home for much longer, but today, it felt like home for the first time since I've been back.

     My wish for fall is to always be blessed with the presence of hummingbirds... to find a new home soon where I can plant a half dozen bottle brush trees... flower gardens to attract all kinds of beautiful birds and butterflies... and herb gardens to attract all kinds of friends and family to my kitchen...

4 comments:

  1. Oh I can picture it now... so beautiful and alive!
    As Cindi wishes for herself, so I wish for her also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful post, and beautiful birds. I have planted grevilleas here to attract the birds, as well as the bottle brush. While we don't have any hummingbirds we do get plenty of others.
    I hope your wish comes true - quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't seen as many hummingbirds this year as in the past, but I love them! I will have to save and get a bottle brush bush! Thanks for the tip!

    As you wish for yourself, I wish for you also. (Sorry I'm late!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stunning wish! As you wish for yourself so I wish for you also x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and reading my words...

All comments are moderated, so they will not appear immediately.