Saturday, September 8, 2012

Ssssssmokin'

     I can't remember the last time I did a Gratitude Friday post.  There have been many things for which I have been grateful for (and always will be), but sometimes just too many in a week to fit into one blog, and sometimes just too many to comprehend.  There were also some days when I felt like there was nothing to be grateful for, and fortunately, those days are fewer and farther behind me.

     This week I have come to realize that one of the things I am forever grateful for is laughter.  Hearing it.  Doing it.  Causing it.  Laughter just seems to be the medicine that sometimes heals my heart and soul.  It is like gratitude has come to life... just like Pinocchio became a real boy... or the Velveteen Rabbit a real rabbit.

     On Wednesday of this week I was walking to a nearby convenience store because it was a beautiful afternoon, not far to walk and I have no car.  [A 'little' exercise never killed anyone I know of.]  I had my sunglasses on, and was enjoying the day when I realized that the top of my head was getting unusually hot.  My first thought was that I should have worn a hat, but as I reached up to see if my scalp was getting sunburned, I realized that the reading glasses on the top of my head were magnifying the sun and about to set my scalp and hair on fire.  Oh yes, I could have been ssssmokin'!  Needless to say, I removed my reading glasses from the top of my head and put them on my shirt neck.

     When I later related that potential "spontaneous human combustion" event to friends on facebook, one of my oldest (and dearest) friends, Lori commented that she loved me but that it was freakin' hilarious.  I love Lori too.  We've been friends for over 30 years now, 98% of it long distance.  One of the things I love most about Lori is that we share the same warped self-humor.  She's currently getting chemo treatments for colon cancer and so every now and then we share a few jokes about our asspirations.

You can purchase one for yourself at Femail Creations
     Like this lovely sign that I posted on her facebook page.  Or the humorous pin I used to have that made me think of my second husband which said "Your proctologist called... they found your head."

     I know that Lori is having a rough time with her treatment, and that there are days when laughter is the farthest thing from her mind.  But I also know that sometimes, laughter is exactly what we need on days like that.

     So the next time you see someone who is about to experience a spontaneous combustion event in their lives ... try to find something to make them laugh.  It could save their life...

1 comment:

  1. A black sense of humour has saved me often and often. I hope that you and Lori continue to find laughter where ever you go.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and reading my words...

All comments are moderated, so they will not appear immediately.