Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Trick or Treats...

     This morning, Jamie Ridler prompts us with this question... What treats do you wish for?  It being Halloween today, one would tend to think in terms of candy and that is indeed what I thought of.  But I also thought of how those "treats" can be memory makers...

     Haribo Gold-Bears always make me remember my childhood in Germany.  The ones sold here in the United States taste different, but it is the bag that brings the memories.  One day I'll get back to Germany and stock up on them again... or find a source to ship my inner child some occasionally.

     When I eat them, I remember volksmarches through vineyards and towns with beautiful old houses that had dark exposed wood beams on them, magical castles, Halloweens and Christmases with our front apartment window painted, and laughter.  I remember the plum orchard behind our apartment building, riding our sled down the snow covered hills and walking up to the local bakery in Bierstadt.  I remember my friends Joy and Janette, and being a Girl Scout. 


     When I think of my Uniworld Danube River cruise that I took for Christmas 2008, I think of the Mozart Chocolate balls that I bought [and ate] in Salzburg... which makes me think of the trip I took there as a child with my family and the ride through the salt mines... our whole family dressed in funny black suits to protect our clothes from the salt on the walls as we rode a small train through the tunnels.   Memories of other family trips... Nice, France... Garmisch and Berchtesgaden... and the Netherlands where we enjoyed breakfast toast with butter and chocolate sprinkles and wandering through tulip gardens.

     Zero candy bars make me remember walking home from school when we moved to Florida, stopping at the little convenience store just around the block from where we lived.

     The treats I'm wishing for this Wednesday are Haribo Gold-Bears and Mozartkugeln... and memories made while traveling with family.    

     What memories are treating you this Halloween?

5 comments:

  1. What great - and yummy! - memories!
    As you wish for yourself, I wish for you also!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What wonderful memories. Thank you for sharing them with us. (The only one of your sweet treats I have ever had were the Mozart Chocolate Balls. Yummo).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your walk down memory lane! Isn't it funny how candy, food, music, and smells can evoke memories? As you wish for yourself so I wish for you also.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How lovely! As you wish for yourself, so do I wish for you.
    As for treat memories, I think the best one I ever had was the grape popsicle that I got from Pinocchio and the kind security staff when I was four and got lost at Disney World.
    (My parents did not allow sugary popsicles, so I was extra stoked plus I had one on one time with Pinocchio and everyone was paying attention to me-I didn't want to leave!)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and reading my words...

All comments are moderated, so they will not appear immediately.