Friday, November 9, 2012

Doing the right things...

     There was a FedEx package on my door this morning when I got back from taking Trooper to the beach to watch dolphins swim and egrets fly.  It is a morning ritual for us...

     The envelope was from the "company" that "hired" me this week.  It had a check in it... for an amount that some would consider a "get out of jail free" amount.  It would allow me to pay the utility bills for this month, and next, and the month after that.  It would allow me to maybe even buy a used car... or make a down payment on one.  It would help me immensely.

     I wish it was real.  I wish I could deposit it, or cash it.  But I know... that gut feeling kind of knowing... that it isn't real.  It would put me that much more in the hole.  No legitimate company would send that kind of money to a person without even getting any information to make me an employee.  No I-9.  No W-2.  Nothing that says I'm an employee... and not just some desperate person who needs money.

     I'm turning it all over to the authorities.  I know that they most likely won't catch the people doing this... but at least they won't have taken advantage of someone else.  Maybe it will put a stop to them... maybe it will just slow them.  But they will have one less falling for their scam.

     We live in a changing world, where doing the right thing is often a difficult choice.  Where it might be easy to "overlook" the rules when we are trying to survive, and make the choice to bend or break a few.  But the reality is that breaking, bending, or overlooking the right way of doing things will only lead to more problems down the line.  Two wrongs don't make a right.

     Yes, the money that check represents could do so much to help me in my situation right now... but there is nothing in life that is free.  Everything comes with a price.  The question is whether or not you are willing to accept the cost for your choices.  Right now, the cost of being a part of something dishonest isn't worth it for me.  Even if I'm sitting in the dark with no running water by Thanksgiving... I would rather do the right things in my life because I will be held accountable for all that I do... now or later.


1 comment:

  1. Some days personal integrity seems expensive but it is cheaper than the alternative. I so hope that things turn around for you soon. Very soon.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and reading my words...

All comments are moderated, so they will not appear immediately.