Saturday, November 10, 2012

Sails or anchors?

     I heard a sermon early this morning on television that made me think quite a bit.

     It was a message about blessings, planting seeds and reaping a harvest.  It was also a message about the people in our lives ... and the people we can be in the lives of others.

     The message given was completely different from the message that I received.  Like that old "telephone" game that we played as children, what left the pastor's mouth was not exactly what I received.  Mostly because of things going on in my own life... those filters that we screen everything with... but I also think it was because I needed to hear something different.

     His message was about reaping what we sow... how everything we do plants a seed, whether it is a good seed or a bad seed, and it all creates a harvest.  Good or bad.  What I took from that message was about people.

     There are people who are like the sail on a boat... lifting us up, pushing us forward, filling us with the wind of favor.  People who plant good seeds ... and reap a good harvest.  People who help us to grow.

"They honored us in many ways; and when we were ready to sail, they furnished us with the supplies we needed."
~ Acts 28:10 ~

     At the opposite end of that are people who can be anchors in our lives.  Holding us back, dragging us down... sometimes even sinking us.  People who plant bad seeds that don't reap any kind of a harvest.  People who cause us to wither and die.

"Rescue me from the mire,
do not let me sink;
deliver me from those who hate me,
from the deep waters."
~ Psalm 69:14 ~

     I want to be a sail in my own life and in the lives of others...

1 comment:

  1. I agree, but somedays I need an anchor too. Something/someone to hold me to the world...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and reading my words...

All comments are moderated, so they will not appear immediately.