Friday, November 23, 2012

Small steps...

     This morning the two beagles were laying out by the water bucket and an empty plastic bowl... waiting patiently for me to feed them.  I wasn't able to get food to them yesterday, but since they had eaten an entire bag on Wednesday after two or more days of nothing at all, I didn't want to overwhelm their systems and wanted to give them a chance to purge anything unhealthy.

     I've decided to name the female "Little Ann" after one of the two coon dogs in the book Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls.

     Yesterday I took a sleep t-shirt I had worn for several days and set it beside the water bucket so they could become familiar with my scent and also that of my dog, Trooper's.  Today when I brought them food, the female let me get within ten feet of her and was whining and low wagging her tail.  The male is still very skittish, but even from the safety of the woods he stayed closer than he has in the past few days.

     I talked to them as I approached, and while I was opening the bag of dog food for them.  The female stayed just behind the large tree, but close enough to hear me until after I walked away then she came and began eating.  When I got out to the street, the male felt safe enough to approach the food.

     I hope that by Monday when the rescue organizations I've contacted are back to work that I will have gained their confidence enough to get them the help they need.  Neither of them have collars, but if they have microchips, perhaps the people that dumped them can be punished.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and reading my words...

All comments are moderated, so they will not appear immediately.