Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Cinnamon memories...

     I'm joining a new meme this morning.  I've stumbled upon several in the past few weeks that excite the writer in me... that make me wake in the middle of the night and reach for the paper and pen by the bedside to write down an idea.  This morning it is writing with concrete words to speak of the abstract.  This morning, it is cinnamon.
Christmas Market in Strasbourg, France
     Cinnamon makes me think of Christmases in Germany, both as a child and as an adult.  It is a spice that has been highly valued for over four thousand years ... a gift for royalty.  Perhaps because of the memories it also evoked for them.

     When I close my eyes and smell cinnamon, I think of times my mom and I spent baking my grandmother's Lebkuchen cookies... and sipping Gluhwein in holiday markets when I traveled as an adult.  I think of family... warmth... laughter... love.  Hot chocolate with cinnamon sprinkled on the top... warm cinnamon toast... hot, sticky buns.  Pine cones infused with the oil placed near the fireplace... or a straw broom in the corner... a pot on the stove simmering cranberries, oranges, cloves and cinnamon.

     I think that when man finally perfects a time machine... it will be powered by memory scents...

Join us...

4 comments:

  1. Can I just say that we rarely have a Christmas without Gluvine! I love this, how it's the same smell for me but in a different place with different people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And today I made shortbread as a gift for a friend - heavily spiced with cinnamon (which does indeed speak of love, vanilla and the zest of a lime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cranberries, oranges, cloves and cinnamon. I would love to try that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Cindy
    Yes, the aroma of cinnamon brings warmth and love to my heart. In South Arica where I live, we looooove making milk porridge with losts of cinnamon sugar on top. Yummy!! Have you noticed how our Lord Jesus uses the metaphor of cinnamon to describe His love for His Shulamite in Song of Songs?
    Much love
    Mia

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and reading my words...

All comments are moderated, so they will not appear immediately.