Wednesday, February 6, 2013

What do you wish to work on?

Source:  WeHeartIt.com
     I recently began a part time position as a paraprofessional for autistic middle school (6th, 7th, & 8th grade) students.  I've never done this kind of work before, and so I feel as if I have jumped into the deep end of teaching ... without my floaties.

     I've taught before ... but at a university, with adults.  I've taught my dog to whisper, sit, lie down, and to gimme five.  I've taught myself to speak German... with a little help from Rosetta Stone and Pimsleur.  I've taught myself to not be afraid... by taking leaps into the deep end of life when necessary.

     I'm not a mom...except to said extremely intelligent dog, a cat, and a recently rescued dog.  There were other dogs and cats in the past too.  A step-son several years ago who spent summers and school breaks with me ... and now two more and a step-daughter, but they don't live with me... or visit... or really even have anything to do with me, but that is their choice... not mine.  I know how difficult it can be to accept a step-mother when you are a teenager.  Been there, done that.

     All of which [new job, dogs, fear, family] have made me realize that I need to work on the relationships in my life more.  To make more connections ... communicate ... and to heal what has been lost, broken, or never given the chance to grow.  I want to work on learning how to swim in this new life.

3 comments:

  1. Good luck in your new position! And good luck with your wishes! As you wish for yourself, so do I wish as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds an amazing challenging job. All the best in your new position. As you wish for yourself, so do I also wish for you as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Working with autistic children takes a special soul. My husband does it, and it is a calling.

    As you wish for yourself, so I wish for you too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and reading my words...

All comments are moderated, so they will not appear immediately.