Monday, April 1, 2013

a day...

I'm posting a day in my life as part of a project that
is doing.
I hope you stay awake until the last photo.
I have a pretty boring life.

1.  Hi Ho, Hi Ho ... it's off to work I go...
2.  I'm a paraprofessional with autistic students in middle school.
First hour ~ gym.
3.  Second hour, I should be in math with 6th and 7th grade students.
But today, two stray dogs on the school property need to be caught before they might bite a student.
Since I speak Woof as a second language ~ I spend almost 30 minutes helping round them up.
"Wanna play wanna play wanna play wanna play?"
"Throw the pine cone throw the pine cone throw the pine cone."
4.  Fourth hour, 8th grade science.
The quiet before the storm of students arrived.
I missed taking pictures of my walk to third hour 7th grade science.
I was checking with Animal Control as they tried to catch the dog above.
His girlfriend [not pictured] was easy to catch, but this boy just wanted nothing more than to play.
5.  Lunch
The 2nd fastest way to go deaf after a heavy metal rock concert.
Really.
It looks harmless, but looks are deceiving.
6.  Hurry to the next class.
Four minutes to move from one side of the school to the other,
like a salmon fighting its way upstream,
I'm moving with and against over 600 students.
7.  Work finished early, the autistic students are given the luxury of a few minutes outside in the sun to play.
8.  Trying to pick up some extra hours (and extra money)
I agree to substitute for three hours at the after-school care program at the elementary school next door
when I get off work from my "day" job.
9.  Did time stand still or something?  Oh.My.Gosh I'm so tired.
10.  Really.  Are the clocks right?
11.  Finally on the way home, I have to stop and get gas.
There are days when I feel like I'm just working to feed my car.
This $25 just barely gave me a half a tank of gas.
12.  Trooper and Annie are happy I'm finally home.
13.  Two, maybe three hours to get things done before I have to go to bed.
Tomorrow... more of the same, except maybe instead of working as a sub,
I'll spend that time looking for a full-time job.
Yesterday's laundry to dry, fold and put away,
I'm too tired tonight to think about cooking something for dinner tonight,
let alone something for the week.
I snack on stuff in the pantry for dinner, making a mental note of what I can grab for lunch tomorrow.

13 comments:

  1. That sounded a truly exhausting day. And while Trooper and Annie were happy to see you - I suspect that you were JUST as happy to see them. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The days really are exhausting because I feel like I'm learning all over again. 6th & 7th grade math. 7th & 8th grade science. Reading and writing skills. My brain protests at times telling me we've already recycled those cells...

      Delete
  2. Thanks for participating in Project 12, Cindi... Kudos to you for the work you do with children ..and dogs!...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karen, for giving me the opportunity!

      Delete
  3. Hi I'm Andy I'm visiting from Karen's blog ! That doesn't seem like a boring day at all ! Wow I bet you were tired

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is tiring because I feel at times like I'm right back in school with them. Math has changed since I was in the 7th grade ~ and I wasn't fond of it then! In order to make sure my shadow understands it, I have to learn it all over again as well!

      Delete
  4. Wow, that's a lot of school. :) My sister and niece both work with autistic students as well. I admire you all for that. You sound like a great teacher. And if that isn't a full time job, I don't know what is. Thanks for giving us a look. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nancy. I'm not "officially" a teacher, but feel more like a tutor who shadows my students, making sure they stay focused and understand the coursework. Especially the mainstreamed students.

      Delete
  5. What a good day-a real life day as I see it. I found you through Karen and I am your newest follower. I used to live in FL and hope to get back there someday. My goal would be St. Augustine...the prettiest city in FL in my mind- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. St. Augustine is beautiful! I lived there for two years in high school and absolutely loved it!

      Delete
  6. Well, it doesn't look so boring to me. Looks like a full and long day, lived well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You really do have a long day but I know it's rewarding! I live in Florida, too! I LOVE it! It's nice to 'meet' you! Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and reading my words...

All comments are moderated, so they will not appear immediately.