Monday, June 24, 2013

at the edge ...


I sat at water's edge last night to catch a glimpse of the "Super Moon." As I waited I could feel "no-see-ums" crawling on me, biting my arms and legs. I listening to a distant cardinal singing his courtship song, and a mockingbird practicing his calls. Cicadas buzzed in the trees, and fish jumped and splashed in the water. I realized from the distant glow of occasional lightning in the clouds that I might not see be able to see the moon at all.

I was soon sitting in the dark, surrounded by sounds and shadows, waiting to see if the clouds would break enough for me to see the light of the moon.

Waiting.

It occurred to me that sometimes faith is like that too. We often find ourselves sitting in the dark, surrounded by distracting or even frightening sounds and shadows ... waiting for the light to guide the way.

It would be wonderful if there were never storms in our lives that kept us in the dark. But without those storms, we would take the sunny days for granted. Never appreciating what we have, never fully grateful for the sunshine ... and rainbows.

Lately my life has been wracked with storms, and there have been times when my fear has been paralyzing. The sounds of what others think I should do, and the shadows of what I have done have kept me twisting and turning in the darkness, unsure of what to do or where to go.

I finally stood in the darkness, brushed the damp sand off me, and began walking in the dark towards home. Trusting that I would be able to find my way, knowing that even though I could not see the moon's light, it was still there behind the clouds.

Almost to the house, I turned to look one last time ... and the moon was there ... just as faith told me it would be.

I don't know what tomorrow will bring. But I know that the moon will rise regardless, just as the sun will rise in the morning. When I walk in the darkness, I just have to keep putting one foot in front of the other ... until I can see the light again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and reading my words...

All comments are moderated, so they will not appear immediately.