Sunday, June 9, 2013

censoring normal ...

  Lately I've been feeling as if I need to censor my blog posts, knowing that there are people who read them to get "ammunition" to use against me.  I tried to blog about just the "window dressing" and the "sugar coating."  But that felt unnatural.

  I was changing who I was to fit who they think I should be.  I can't do that anymore.  Been there done that so many times before that the t-shirts have all shrunk.

  Then I read this post [Just Be... Normal] and realized that was the answer I had been looking for.

Source: WeHeartIt.com
  Normal is more than just the setting on the washing machine.  It isn't just conforming.   Normal sometimes is loud and ugly.  Normal sometimes is hurtful and painful.  Normal isn't always pretty.

  I don't blog about my life hoping to get sympathy like I've been accused of.  I blog about the ugliness, the beauty, the pain, the joy, the hurt and the healing ... my "normal" ... because somewhere out there is someone who is feeling the same kind of "normal" that I am.  Someone who needs to know that they aren't alone, that they don't have to be afraid, that maybe, just maybe, they are "normal" too.

  This past four months I have learned a lot from my autism students.  The most important thing I've learned is that "normal" is a subjective term.  There were days when my "special" students were smarter and better behaved than those "normal" students they were supposed to be like.

  Why do we try to fit everyone into a "normal" sized box?  Why can't we just recognize that we each have our own special gifts, talents, and wings to fly?

  Why can't we realize that sometimes it is what happens "outside the box" that makes us feel "normal?"  One of my favorite quotes is this:  The true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at the journey's end, but in who you come to be along the way. ~ Unknown

  What if instead it said this:


The true worth of your life lies not in where you are in your journey
but who you came to be at the journey's end
~ Letting the Words Escape ~

2 comments:

  1. I have a fridge magnet which says;
    The only normal people
    Are those you don't know very well.

    Which sounds about right to me...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and reading my words...

All comments are moderated, so they will not appear immediately.