Friday, July 19, 2013

5 minutes: belong

GO: {Disclaimer:  I tried hard to bring my anger to a point where I could write something positive, something powerful ... but I could not.  So if you want something warm and fuzzy, please go hug your dog.}

This puppy ~ emaciated to the point where I could see every rib, every backbone, every hip, and leg bone as it passed me ~ was pulling a six foot heavy metal chain ...
It belonged to this man on the bicycle, who was riding ahead and encouraging the puppy to follow it ~ in 85 degree temperatures.
The puppy kept stopping ~ panting, overheated, and tired ~ and the man would turn around, go back to it and for a short time carry the chain before dropping it and pedaling on ahead.

I watched him do it at least three times, and took several pictures of the two ~ he put on his hat and tried to hide his face when he saw me taking pictures.  I was so angry that I was shaking and these pictures were all that were in focus.  But I called the police as soon as I went in to work and told them which direction they were heading.

The puppy was eager to please the man, and as you can see by the bottom picture with his happy tail up, it wanted to belong with him.

I have not been able to stop thinking about the puppy, hoping that the police were able to take it away from the man and save it from the pit bull fighting future that it was being trained for ... that it would instead belong in a home with people who would feed and love it.

And that man ... that man belongs in jail.

STOP ... and celebrate this update ... the police were able to seize the dog and are pressing charges against the man.  The dog is now being treated by a veterinarian through animal control.  Woot Woot!  or rather Woof Woof!
Five Minute Friday

11 comments:

  1. That is so sad. That the man wouldn't care properly for this dog. Makes me think of the story of Shiloh.
    Good for you in calling the police.
    We don't (at the present) have a dog. We do have a newly acquired turtle. We are learning what it takes to properly care for her (we found out she was a she today).
    Pets should be properly cared for. It is so sad when animals are abused.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure your new turtle would like a scratch on the head instead of a hug. Yes, I am a firm believer that if you get a pet, you should take care of it. Raising it and training it strictly for dog fighting should be punishable in a way that makes the person guilty know what the dog experiences!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you. I am also, and will now be extra vigilant in watching for it again.

      Delete
  3. I so hope that your intervention saves this puppy. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've not been able to reach the police again to find out, but will continue to try to call.

      Delete
  4. Your vigilance and compassion will not go unnoticed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We all need to belong, people and pets. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. How brave and compassionate you are. Thanks for the reminder that we are not just connected to other people, but to all of creation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I can't stand seeing animal cruelty! Good on you for getting involved and taking the issue to the Police. Mel x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and reading my words...

All comments are moderated, so they will not appear immediately.