Sunday, August 11, 2013

a Sunday drive #6

  It was an Amazing Grace kind of day.  Amazing doesn't even begin to describe it.  Powerful.  Incredible.  Wonderful.  Spiritual miracle.

  It started early this morning while I was driving.  I was just talking to God (as always) and said that I wished we could just sit down and talk, face to face, and even tho I seemed to always be talking to Him, I just wished I could hear His voice like I've been reading in the Old Testament.  I just felt at times I was "putting words in His mouth" by imagining His half of our conversations ... much like I did as a child with my imaginary friend.

  I turned on the radio and they were doing re-runs of the week day WAY-FM DJ shows.  This morning it was Melissa Moore and she was taking phone calls about those tough questions kids ask, and how moms handle them.

  Guess what the first question I heard was?

Why can't we talk to God like they did in the Old Testament?

  Yeah, I know.  Chill bumps.

  So the day went really well, and on my way home as always, I passed an old wooden church that is usually closed.  This time, however, the doors to the church were open.

  Now, I had planned on going home, walking the dogs, eating some pasta, doing some laundry, getting ready for my last week of work ... the usual Sunday night do-do-to-do list since I procrastinated all week long.  But just about the time I passed the church and thought, "oh, how cool, they are having services," God spoke and said, "turn around and go back, you need church today."  [In my head, of course, nothing like Moses on the mountain that probably would have made me drive off the road and wreck ~ and no, I'm not "hearing" voices so those family members that like to call the police on me to harass me check on my well being don't need to start dialing].

  Of course, because I still think I'm putting words in His mouth, I said, "uh, no can do, going straight home, dogs need a long walk, got laundry to do, maybe another time since I'm almost a mile away now."

  So God 'spoke' again and said "turn around and go back, you need church today, the dogs will wait."  So I did.

  Now ... I'm in the middle of nowhere really.  It is a small country church that only has services twice a month.  As I walked up the ramp to the door, imagine my surprise when I recognized the preacher and his wife.  The preacher used to be the handy-dude who did 90% of my remodeling projects about eight years ago, but now he has quit that business and has gone into the God business.

  Yeah, I know.  Chill bumps.

  So long post shorter... the message [1 Peter 1:13] was incredible and exactly what I needed to hear, the preacher's wife has a possible lead on a full time job for me, and the church members (all 14 of them) felt compelled to bless me with a financial gift after I asked for prayers for a full time job.  Certainly NOT what I was expecting when I turned the car around, or what I expected when I asked for prayers.

    The following is a scripture that was given to me by one of the members just before I left.  It brought my day full circle back to that question about having a conversation with God.

"For I know the plans I have for you,” says the Lord. “They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope. 
In those days when you pray, I will listen. 
If you look for me wholeheartedly, you will find me. 
I will be found by you,” says the Lord. “I will end your captivity and restore your fortunes. I will gather you out of the nations where I sent you and will bring you home again to your own land.”
~ Jeremiah 29:11-14 ~

  Oh, and did I mention they let a dog attend church with us?  It was so cool.  And just in case you were wondering ... the dogs did wait ... no clean up on Aisle 4 when I got home!

3 comments:

  1. I'm not religious, but I talk to God sometimes. I ask him to let me please win the lottery. He never answers, and I've never won. Perhaps that's his answer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, there is a song by Garth Brooks ~click here~ that I think of when something I ask for doesn't happen. I would LOVE to win the lottery, but like you, haven't yet. But I think I'm actually grateful that I haven't. I've seen how money changes people and makes them much less grateful for what they have ... they get too tied up in when they don't have and what they want that they miss what is right in front of them, especially the people in their lives.

      Delete
  2. What an absolutely wonderful day. Just what you needed.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and reading my words...

All comments are moderated, so they will not appear immediately.