Friday, August 2, 2013

around the table ...

My life the last several years has been a journey around tables.

Many years ago, I answered the ring of the doorbell, and my father stood there with a chair in his arms. He had taken it upon himself to purchase a dining room table and china cabinet for me that he saw at a garage sale. The cherry wood table with seating for eight and the almost floor-to-ceiling china cabinet were out of place in my small dining room, but they were gifted with love. and soon filled and covered with love as well.

I surrounded my table with friends at least once or twice a month as we gathered for board games and dinner. Every few months I would host a potluck party for friends from all areas of my life that would double as an excuse to gather toys and treats for the military working dog teams I sponsored. Guests could bring food to share, or a gift for the dogs and their handlers which I would ship off to teams deployed in the Middle East conflicts.

Those were good times around my table then, the house echoed with laughter … and barking dogs.

After my father passed away, the table and hutch were passed on to a co-worker who had a need for a large table for his growing family. I downsized to a round table for four that fit my house, but still had room for the friends that continued to gather around it.

A move out of state, a marriage, a cancer diagnosis, a decision to leave a stressful job and return to my “roots.” The table was sold to fund the trip home.

My dining room stands empty now, but I can still hear the echoes of laughter. Above all, I can still believe God’s promises for us in this time. Promises to never leave us and to always provide for us. There will be a dining room table again in my future, and it will always be surrounded by those we love, the music of laughter filling the air, and the satisfaction of being fed with the bread of life … around the table.
My grandmother (standing), Mom (turned to look at camera)
and my Uncle Brian sitting next to her, also turned to look.

Psalm 104:15 There is wine to make people glad. There is olive oil to make them healthy. And there is bread to make them strong.

Acts 14:17 But he has given proof of what he is like. He has shown kindness by giving you rain from heaven. He gives you crops in their seasons. He provides you with plenty of food. He fills your hearts with joy.”

Matthew 6:25-26 “I tell you, do not worry. Don’t worry about your life and what you will eat or drink. And don’t worry about your body and what you will wear. Isn’t there more to life than eating? Aren’t there more important things for the body than clothes? “Look at the birds of the air. They don’t plant or gather crops. They don’t put away crops in storerooms. But your Father who is in heaven feeds them. Aren’t you worth much more than they are?”

1 comment:

  1. I love how the table was a gift and you gifted it to pass on its inspiration to another family to gather around it. Thank you for sharing!
    Valerie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and reading my words...

All comments are moderated, so they will not appear immediately.