Saturday, August 3, 2013

let me lift him up ...

  One of the precious monkeys angels I work with at the school summer day care program is a mischievous precious hyperactive energetic six year old who I will just call "L."

  L is really a sweet kid ... really.  I mean, at six years old, who wasn't or isn't a sweet kid?  Six year old monkeys angels are just on the cusp of being in "real" school, they are learning all about what buttons to push to make you pull your hair out reading and writing and basic math.  They are like small sponges with feet and hands ... and mouths that repeat everything they have heard or seen...

  L frequently winds up sitting alone in time out because he mimics things he has seen going on at home ... the language, the behavior, the physical interactions.  It is a sad situation because while we have "guidelines" and rules for behavior at our program ... they aren't the same as what goes on at home, which is absolutely nothing apparently minimal.

  Recently when L's mother came to pick him up in the afternoon and found out that he had gotten a write up for inappropriate language, "Mom" loudly threatened spoke to him telling him that when they got home she was going to beat his f*&king a$$ and he better be glad she didn't have a belt there or she would do it right then.  When "Grandma" drops him off in the morning it is with these words of ugliness love "Be good or your mother will beat your a$$."

  My heart breaks for this sweet child, who is just trying to figure out his place in this world, and perhaps with a mild medication for his hyperactivity could be a focused and loving young man.  Instead, he will wind up learning nothing about love ... and everything about anger and hate.

  There is nothing I can do except lift him up and encourage him when I have a few hours with him ... and hold him in my prayers.  If I could ask "Mom" anything, it would be this ...

  If you didn't want your child, why didn't you just put him up for adoption?  There are so many wannabemothers who would have gladly taken this child and given him a home filled with love ... I certainly would have ...

1 comment:

  1. I hope that the gentle love education and training he receives away from home will sustain him.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and reading my words...

All comments are moderated, so they will not appear immediately.