Friday, September 13, 2013

3 John 1:13

13-14  I have much more to say to you, but I don’t want to write it with pen and ink.  For I hope to see you soon, and then we will talk face to face.

This last letter from John is written to another pastor, Gaius, in a distant church about another church leader who is spreading lies and rumors about John and other believers.

9-10 I wrote to the church, but Diotrephes, who loves to be first, will not welcome us. So when I come, I will call attention to what he is doing, spreading malicious nonsense about us. Not satisfied with that, he even refuses to welcome other believers. He also stops those who want to do so and puts them out of the church.

Scholars have speculated that one of the reasons for the dispute between the two men
may have been about financial responsibility.
Something I can relate to as I have recently experienced family conflicts over the same issue ...
complete with hateful words, lies and rumors.

John offers this advice to Gaius for how to deal with Diotrephes without stooping to the same level...

11 Dear friend, don’t let this bad example influence you. Follow only what is good.

In essence, John tells him to turn the other cheek and ignore what has been said, as well as the person.

Follow only what is good.
Advice I have come to agree with, and words to live by.

1 comment:

Thanks for stopping by and reading my words...

All comments are moderated, so they will not appear immediately.