Monday, September 2, 2013

laboring ...

 I've been working for more than 35 years now.  Just not at the same place, or doing the same thing.  Which is good ... and bad.  If I'd been at the same company, I could have retired by now and been doing what most people do when they retire ... which lately is going back to work.

  My first job was as a reader for two blind classmates.  I was 15.  Their braille textbooks and textbooks on tape hadn't arrived so for the first three months of school, I would go every afternoon to read homework assignments to them.

  I did the fast food circuit after that, walking three miles to get to work after school let out.  Volunteered as a Candy Striper at the hospital, working in the physical therapy department, and eventually worked as a physical therapy aide in a clinic.  I also worked as a salesperson / cashier for several different retail stores before finally graduating to a real office job.  I've written radio ad copy, and newsletters for doctors.  I've helped coordinate community events where 10,000 people showed up, and I've stood up to teach a classroom of 20 adults wanting to learn more.  I've worked at big companies, and I worked at small companies.  I was a leader for some ... and a follower for many.

  Even those times when I wasn't getting paid for my work ... I was volunteering or working at finding a job or working at finishing college.  Last year ... I was working at surviving.

  Working in so many different fields ... and looking for work ... has given me a greater appreciation for those who work.  From the person who picks up the trash once a week, to the person who governs the country ... work is hard ... and appreciated.

Thank you.

"The Lord will not let the godly go hungry,
but he refuses to satisfy the craving of the wicked.
Lazy people are soon poor;
hard workers get rich.
A wise youth harvests in the summer,
but one who sleeps during harvest is a disgrace."
~ Proverbs 10:3-5 NLT ~

3 comments:

  1. And it doesn't stop with retirement either. I sneered when my father said that he didn't know how he had ever found time to go to work... And have mentally apologised many times since then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh yes, I know many who are busier now than when they did work.

      Delete
  2. I feel so lazy after reading this. I've held exactly 9 jobs in my life, one of them only lasted two days. Now I'm retired and have no intention of working again. At least for a year, after that I may find some volunteer work if I'm getting bored with doing nothing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and reading my words...

All comments are moderated, so they will not appear immediately.