Monday, October 7, 2013

a life of learning ...

I love to learn.

Years ago when I was working as a client services representative for a medical group, I spoke at luncheons given by a Medicare supplemental insurance company.  I would speak to 20-50 senior adults who were anywhere from age 55 to 95 about the benefits our medical group could provide if they selected us as their primary care provider.

I was always amazed at the difference in coherent thought and understanding in the men and women I helped at these luncheons, and the fact that the defining differences in them was whether or not they had continued their education beyond high school, or if they had worked outside of the home.

Here is a simple explanation ... continue to work your brain ... or risk losing your ability to process critical information.

One of the most powerful tools for change that we can give someone is the opportunity to learn.

"We know from study after study that there is no tool for development more effective than the education of girls and women."
~ Kofi Annan ~

I have been so blessed to watch the Internet community step up to the plate and help the women at Mercy House reach their goal to get a van to help young mothers (and their children) in Kenya.  Now they are stepping up to ask for help in creating new classrooms.

"Educate a boy, and you educate an individual.
Educate a girl, and you educate a community."
~ Adelaide Hoodless ~

I'm so looking forward to seeing how this new phase of (in)courage's fundraising for Mercy House Kenya goes!
Celebrate this update!
In just one day, the classrooms were funded.
WOW

3 comments:

  1. I am frequently appalled at my ignorance - about so many things. And grateful to have the opportunity to shed some light in the dark areas in my mind...

    ReplyDelete
  2. "...risk losing your ability to process critical information."
    I have two strikes against me already. I didn't finish high school and I'm no longer working. I can feel my brain cells dying as I type.
    To be fair, I never did learn to process critical information, but I manage and if stuff is written down so I can read through it several times I can work things out. Mostly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you do quite well, River, and it certainly wasn't a scientific or medical fact, simply an observation on my part. Kind of a "use it or lose it" observation ... but just like the rest of the muscles in our body, our brain is also a muscle and can atrophy as well ... again, just my humble opinion.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by and reading my words...

All comments are moderated, so they will not appear immediately.