Friday, December 20, 2013

... and in first place ...

  My first job was when I was in the tenth grade, as a reader to two fellow students.  They were blind, and their braille textbooks and books on tape (and we're talking reel to reel tape ~ very old school) had not arrived by the start of the school year.  Every day after school, I would take the bus that dropped off at the Florida State School for the Deaf and Blind.  I would walk quietly through the deaf section of the school ~ which wasn't as quiet as you would think ~ and spend two hours reading homework assignments.

  I don't have many memories of my early school years.  We moved a lot, and my First grade was split between Michigan and Beale AFB, California.  What I do remember was one teacher who sent me a book from Japan, and a letter written on beautiful rice paper, after she moved there with her husband.  I think that was the first book I ever remember reading.  It was a thin picture book about life in Japan, their customs and the beauty of their Geisha women.  I think that was also when I realized that I was going to like traveling and moving around a lot.

  First thing in the morning I get up and read my daily Bible chapters ... grateful for the teachers that taught me to read and gave me a love for learning.

  Sharing some of my firsts with [KIOS] today ...

5 comments:

  1. What a cool first job! Thanks for sharing your memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your first job is quite unique. It must have been a very different world for you to be in. It sounds fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh what a lovely memory about the book about life in Japan!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How wonderful that you knew from such a young age that you were going to love traveling and moving a lot! Thinking about that now, I'm realizing I knew the same from a pretty young age as well. There's just something so freeing and growth-initiating about travel. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this post, Cindi. I love that you received that special book from a teacher who took the time to send it from Japan - and that it sparked your love of travel! Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and reading my words...

All comments are moderated, so they will not appear immediately.