Monday, December 30, 2013

cookin' ...

KIOS is asking ... this Day 30 of 31 ... for our favorite recipe.  I have several recipes for disaster ... but think that in this case, they are asking for something that might leave less of a sour taste in your mouth.

My maternal grandmother gave me a family recipe for Springerle cookies, several lifetimes ago.  Christmas always makes me think of making them, and I even bought a special Springerle roller when I was in Germany for Christmas in 2007.  Unfortunately, I haven't had the opportunity to make them since then, but one day I will.

They are delicious dunked in hot coffee ... hot chocolate ... or peppermint tea.  They also ship well, and can be painted with food coloring.  If frozen with apple slices, they will soften.

Grandma Ruth's Christmas Springerle Cookies
2 eggs
1 cup sugar
2 1/4 cups flour
Anise seeds

Beat eggs & sugar together.
Stir in flour until blended and stiff.
Refrigerate for 2 hours.
Roll out 1/8 inch thick on floured board.
Cut cookies with decorated board or rolling pin.
Place on cookie sheet that has been sprinkled with Anise seeds.
Let dry for 2 hours at room temperature.
Bake for 12-15 minutes at 325F.

3 comments:

  1. They look good. Perhaps it is nearly time to make them. To make an occasion special. For you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the design of your blog (I've been meaning to tell you that). And sharing your grandmom's recipe is special! ~ John

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and reading my words...

All comments are moderated, so they will not appear immediately.