Friday, December 13, 2013

kickin' a first ...

Brandy 1976-1986

[KIOS] prompts this morning for a "first."

I have a lot of firsts.
I have a lot of lasts.
But the one "first" that will always be in my heart ...
my first dog, Brandy.
She made a place in my heart that continues to be filled.
I think she was a dachshund and cocker mix.
She followed me home from school one day.
(Although I think I carried her most of the way.)

I know she is always with me in spirit.
In fact, oddly enough,
three times in the 13 years I've lived in this townhouse,
I've received a piece of mail addressed to her.
Brandy {maiden name}
She never lived at this address, 
in fact was gone for 15 years before I even bought it.
The pieces of mail stick with me because of the timing of their arrival,
and what they were.
The first was a parenting/baby magazine.
Just one.
It arrived when I realized that I was never going to be a mother.
The second was a postcard for a local restaurant, with coupons,
at a time when I was single, and maybe a little lonely.
The most recent one came just a few weeks ago.
A postcard for car title loans.
The week I paid off my car.

Yeah, weird, huh?

P.S.
Annie's picture & profile no longer appear on the Humane Society's "available" page.
I hope to find out more this afternoon,
but I'm sure it means that she got her Christmas present early.

7 comments:

  1. Sweet picture and lovely story. I love the little "messages" from Brandy - gentle little cosmic hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how I loved reading this beautiful story! It was a toss up for my post between my first dog & my first car, but I went with my car because I am always posting about my dogs and I think people might be a little "over it", lol! Such a deep connection you have with your Brandy! We know that our two girls (dogs) channel their "big sis" (whom they never knew) but she sure shares all of her "bad" habits with them, & it cracks us up to see her influence from beyond! P.S Oh yay for Annie! Fingers crossed! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that's wonderful! It sounds like you each had a true friend in the other. I love dogs, and Brandy looks like a sweetheart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fingers and toes crossed for Annie. My eyes are leaking happily in anticipation. Please let us know what you discover. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww. I don't know if you can forget your first pet. We always had cats around, but none were really mine. My first pets were a pair of hermit crabs named Hercules (for his giant claw) and Joseph (after my dad). I can't eat crab to this day. Your dog was so cute and your hair was awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What amazing stories. Clearly Brandy is still with you, like a guardian angel along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I looooove this...the mail pieces are little signs from Brandy...little signs from a parallel universe or something :) How sweet that she is still with you in these interesting ways! I saw, too, in the post up above the Annie found a home with two kids...so glad she got her early Christmas. Sending supportive vibes and <3 to you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and reading my words...

All comments are moderated, so they will not appear immediately.