Sunday, January 12, 2014

Sunday selections #154

It has been a while since I participated in Sunday Selections.  It was originally started by Kim at Frogpondsrock as an ongoing meme where participants could post previously unused photos languishing in their files. It is now continued by River at Drifting through life. The rules are so simple as to be almost non-existent. Post some photos under the title Sunday Selections and link back to River.

The hard freezes of this past week created some magical ice art in a part of the world that doesn't usually get to see such things.  This type of ice is called "Hair Ice" or "Needle Ice."  It does look almost like gelled and spiked hair ... or pulled taffy.  My pictures were taken at 8 a.m. and by 3:30 p.m. all of the ice had melted away.





Sheets of ice on the bay

5 comments:

  1. Welcome back. Sadly only your final photo has posted - for me anyway. The others show as a circle with a minus sign in it. Sigh.
    I hope your weather is returning to more normal temperatures, and would love some ice this way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fixed! Thank you for saying something! I'm apparently not smart enough for a smart phone!

      Delete
    2. I LOVE them, and am so glad that you could fix it. Thank you. And my phone is much smarter than I am.

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much for joining us. How did I miss this last Sunday?
    The hair ice is beautiful and looks quite delicate, I've never seen it before, we don't get it here in Aus. I don't think. Is the sheet ice on the bay strong enough to skate on?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh no, not even strong enough to breathe on. it was gone in just hours, as was the hair ice. i'd never seen it before either and only just read about it online a week or so before.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by and reading my words...

All comments are moderated, so they will not appear immediately.