Friday, July 11, 2014

feeding our senses ...

Trooper and I walk at the beach each morning
this week he has been learning to swim in deeper water
while the tide has been high

As we wade, I watch the hermit crabs scurry to get out of the way
then suddenly stop
nope, nothing to see here just a shell I'm only a shell an empty shell an ugly shell not even worth picking up and taking home because I smell really bad too so just keep wading in the water and ignore me

Trooper, off leash, wades deeper and deeper until he is swimming
he looks to me in a panic and I reassure him that he is okay and a good boy
he swims circles going from deep water where his feet are off the bottom
to shallower water where he can touch again
gaining confidence

I reach into the water and pick up a shell, throwing it into the water beyond Trooper
wheeeeeeeeee I'm flying!
encouraging him to swim deeper still and know that he is in control

The sun is hot on my back and shoulders
and the water is cool on my feet and legs

I watch fish swimming around me
thin and pencil like fish
puffer fish
fish with bright yellow noses
a blue crab breaks cover from under the sand and swims away
waving a threatening claw at me
hey silly giant watch where you are walking!

pelicans fly in single file
pterodactyls from an earlier time
a white heron wades in shallow water along the shore
stretching his long neck to snatch an unsuspecting fish out of the water
throwing his head back, the fish slips down his throat
breakfast sushi

1 comment:

Thanks for stopping by and reading my words...

All comments are moderated, so they will not appear immediately.