Monday, October 31, 2011

Autumn Dance...


I Heart This
 
October gave a party;
The leaves by hundreds came -
The Chestnuts, Oaks, and Maples,
And leaves of every name.
The Sunshine spread a carpet,
And everything was grand,
Miss Weather led the dancing,
Professor Wind the band.
~George Cooper ~ "October's Party"
    

     I remember Halloweens as a child spent in Germany.  Mom would paint the big front window of our apartment that we had (neun und dreißig westfalen Straße, Bierstadt).  She would usually paint a scene from "Its the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown."

     We would rake up great piles of leaves, then run and jump in them.  Farmers in the nearby town of Bierstadt would open their barn doors and clean out the stalls.  There would be apples and plums in the orchard behind our apartment buildings.
I Heart Pippi

     On Halloween I would usually dress up as Pippi Longstocking (Pippi Langstrumpf), and we would go up and down our street to where the families had one table set up in front of the building, rather than kids going up and down the three story buildings.  I was a tom-boy like her and remember one year when someone under a table reached out and grabbed one of my legs. 

     I didn't stick around long enough to see if I broke his nose when I gave him a hard kick with my other foot.

     Today at work I'm dressed in a poodle skirt... but I think next year... I shall be Pippi again...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and reading my words...

All comments are moderated, so they will not appear immediately.