Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Happy 1st Anniversary...

New Year's Eve 2010
Married just over a month.
"People do not marry people, not real ones anyway; they marry what they think the person is; they marry illusions and images.  The exciting adventure of marriage is finding out who the partner really is."
~James L. Framo~

"A happy marriage is the union of two good forgivers."
~Ruth Bell Graham~

"In every marriage more than a week old, there are grounds for divorce.  The trick is to find, and continue to find, grounds for marriage."
~Robert Anderson~

"More marriages might survive if the partners realized that sometimes the better comes after the worse."
~Doug Larson~

"In a time when nothing is more certain than change, the commitment of two people to one another has become difficult and rare.  Yet, by its scarcity, the beauty and value of this exchange have only been enhanced."
~Robert Sexton~

     I've been criticized by some and condemned by others for making a choice to fight for my marriage after a very rocky start.  I say "choice" because marriage is a choice two people make every day.  A marriage takes work every single day, not just when you feel like it or when things are good.  I know because this is my fourth marriage... and his.

     Why this one is different than the three before, I can't explain.  But it is.  Perhaps it is because we were forced to make choices together because we were all that we had.  We live far away from family and friends.  At one point my "friends" began to ostracize me, and my family judge me, for my choices.  There were no other outside influences in our lives.  We've both dropped off Facebook, seldom email and have cancelled our cell phones.

1st Anniversary
     The only outside influence and "third party" to this marriage now is GOD, as He should have been all along.  We still have a land-line phone to call family and friends, and I'm doing my part to keep the U.S. Postal Service still in business.  But we are no longer drawn into the drama that destroys marriages.  We talk to each other.  Pray with and for each other.  Spend time together.

"A successful marriage requires falling in love many times, always with the same person."
~Mignon McLaughlin~

"2...and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing.  3 If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.  4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.   5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.  6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.  7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.  8 Love never fails."
~ 1 Corinthians 13:2-8 NIV ~

     Happy 1st Anniversary, David... I love you more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and reading my words...

All comments are moderated, so they will not appear immediately.