Friday, January 13, 2012

Acts 27:13

13 When a gentle south wind began to blow, they saw their opportunity; so they weighed anchor and sailed along the shore of Crete.

Source
     My Dad loved to go sailing.  He loved wooden boats, and the craftsmanship that went into them.  He loved the solitude of being on the water, and while he was younger and healthy, it would be where he went on Sundays to find God.  He would have an old ratty pair of shorts, with holes in them that he called his church goin' shorts because they were 'holy.'

     I remember when Dad got his first sailboat after we moved to Florida.  I must have been eleven or twelve. It was the only time I remember my Mom going sailing with him.  We got hit by a thunderstorm while crossing the bay, and the sailboat was tipped over so far that water was coming in over the stern hull, the keel almost out of the water.  In the galley where I was, you could look out the window and see the bottom of the bay where the sand was swirling with the power of the water.  Mom and Dad were in the cockpit while Dad tried to control the tiller and keep the boat upright.

     The storm lasted just a few minutes, but I'm sure to them it felt like an eternity.

     When we are caught in the storms of life, they often feel like they last an eternity.  We are frightened when we feel alone and out of sight of the shore.  We feel tossed and blown by the wind and waves and don't know if we will survive the storm.

22 But now I urge you to keep up your courage, because not one of you will be lost; only the ship will be destroyed. 23 Last night an angel of the God to whom I belong and whom I serve stood beside me 24 and said, ‘Do not be afraid, Paul. You must stand trial before Caesar; and God has graciously given you the lives of all who sail with you.’ 25 So keep up your courage, men, for I have faith in God that it will happen just as he told me.
~ Acts 27:22-25 ~

     Paul reassured the men he was sailing with that God would protect them from the storm they were in, and the storms they were about to face, just as God reassured him.

     Just as God reassures us.

     When you feel as if you are drowning in the storms of life, remember this... as you are reaching up, God is reaching down to save you.  Take His hand and rest assured that He is the lifeboat that will carry us through the storms.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and reading my words...

All comments are moderated, so they will not appear immediately.