Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Organized chaos...

     There are a lot of traditions and superstitions related to ringing out the old year and bringing in the New Year.  One that always stuck in my head was that you shouldn't do anything 'negative' on New Year's Day (such as laundry or cleaning) or you would be doing it all year.

     So for most of my adult life, I have spent New Year's Day not doing much at all... except occasionally recovering from New Year's Eve, but I'm thankful to say that I've outgrown all of those habits and friends.  I would kick back and relax, perhaps journal, or plan for the coming year.  But I made a point of not doing any cleaning or organizing.

     And you know what happened?  I would spend the year in disorganized chaos.  I would lose important papers, buy things again and again because I couldn't remember where I put the last one I bought (you know how that goes... you put it somewhere that you are just POSITIVE you will remember where it is, and you never see it again until the next millennium).

What a cool idea!
     This year... this New Year... I have spent the first two days of the year cleaning, organizing, and doing laundry.

     Because I want 2012 to be better than 2011.  I want to be organized.  I'm tired of my life being in constant chaos.  I want cleaned and purged rooms... in my house, in my mind, and in my life... I want to know where things are... and where I'm going.  I want to be able to find those odds and ends... and myself again.

Bright and sensible!

     I don't want any more unexpected surprises, frustrated searches, or disappointments.  I don't want to feel that my life is out of control, that I don't know what I'm doing, where I'm going, or how to get back on track.

13 Who is wise and understanding among you? Let them show it by their good life, by deeds done in the humility that comes from wisdom. 14 But if you harbor bitter envy and selfish ambition in your hearts, do not boast about it or deny the truth. 15 Such “wisdom” does not come down from heaven but is earthly, unspiritual, demonic. 16 For where you have envy and selfish ambition, there you find disorder and every evil practice.

17 But the wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure; then peace-loving, considerate, submissive, full of mercy and good fruit, impartial and sincere. 18 Peacemakers who sow in peace reap a harvest of righteousness.


~ James 3:13-18 NIV ~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and reading my words...

All comments are moderated, so they will not appear immediately.