Thursday, January 26, 2012

Thursday Travels... It's a Small World, After All....

     My fascination with miniatures was probably started when we visited Madurodam in the Netherlands.  An entire city modeled on a real one, only 1:25 of the size.

Madurodam
     Even the gardens are detailed with miniature trees and shrubs carefully tended so that they fit the dimensions of the city.

     Lifetimes later, I visited Michael Garman's Magic Town in Colorado Springs, Colorado.  Like Madurodam, you could walk thru the town as if you were Gulliver.

Magic Town

    One Christmas I decided that it was never too late to have the childhood I'd always wanted.  I got a Candyland game, the complete set of Nancy Drew mysteries, and I got a kit to build my first wooden dollhouse.  I put in wood flooring, a cedar shake roof, stained glass windows, and working electricity to light the miniature Tiffany stained glass chandeliers and table lamps.

     Using pages from a wallpaper sample book, I carefully pasted the walls and put up decorative paper with tiny designs.  Some rooms I even created tiny chair rails which divided a papered lower half and a painted top half of a room.  Miniature tables, chairs, beds, and even tinier decorations.  Each season, each holiday, I would decorate my 'dream' house.

     At Halloween, I created ghosts out of a cotton ball and pieces of tissue paper to hang from the front railings, decorating with small pumpkins found at the hobby shop.  A fat, juicy looking Thanksgiving turkey sat on the top of the miniature oven as if it just came out to cool.  Christmas lights would blink on and off, as would the lights on the tiny tree in front of the fireplace where all the stockings were hung with care...
Dream Dollhouse
"It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth.  I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.  I didn't feel like a giant.  I felt very, very small."  
~ Neil Armstrong ~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and reading my words...

All comments are moderated, so they will not appear immediately.