Thursday, January 5, 2012

Thursday Travels... Elbow Cay, Bahamas

Elbow Cay
     Baby, it's cold outside so I'm warming up with memories of the time I went to the Bahamas.  A co-worker was talking last week about a scuba trip to Belize that she has planned in the spring and I'm sure it will be fabulous.

     I went in late September 1986.  It was hot, but not unbearably so.  I don't know how to scuba dive, but learned to snorkel that weekend.  Floating motionless over the coral, letting the waves coming into the inlet carry me, I was fascinated by this world under the water.

     Bright flashes of yellows and blues zipped about me, as the topical fish inspected this alien invader to their world.  As I relaxed I came close to being hypnotized by the gentle rock of the water and the sound of my slow and steady breathing through the snorkel tube.

     Elbow Cay wasn't the typical Bahamas tourist playground, and while it was only for a four-day weekend... it was as if I was transported back to a time when I had no cares or worries.  Transportation around the island was mostly by bicycles, boat, or bi-ped (walking).  Music played in the afternoons, but the streets rolled up at sundown and the locals relaxed to watch the sunset.

     Maybe if I think hard enough, like Christopher Reeve did in Somewhere in Time, I will wake up tomorrow to find myself soaking up the sun on the soft pink beaches.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and reading my words...

All comments are moderated, so they will not appear immediately.