Friday, July 21, 2017

collect ... in 5

I'm collecting my thoughts here with the wonderfully talented writers at Five Minute Friday again this week ...

I collect rocks almost as much as I collect words, although currently, my rock collection is probably larger than my book collection.

They come with tangible memories attached to them of places we've been, and in some cases, the people we have been with.

Last night I reached out to a nephew to ask if he wanted a rock I had kept from Carpinteria Beach in California. It was the last time I had seen him.  In 1999.  For me, the rock was a reminder of time spent with him and his brother.  For him, it will be a reminder of a vacation spent with his uncle who recently passed away.

deceptively innocent looking, isn't she?
I also collect bird nests, fragments of varied and colorful wild bird eggshells, feathers, paper wasp nests, butterfly wings, beach shells, sand, driftwood, and birch bark.  Recently I found a double decker paper wasp nest.  I used to keep my "treasures" in a bowl on my writing desk for inspiration.

However, with the addition of one curious kitten named Lucy Magillicutty to our family, I've had to start keeping things in closed jars. She also likes to collect things.  Stray pennies to drop into my husband's work boots. His gently used foam ear plugs from work. Cough drops. Sponge stencil brushes. Guitar picks. Empty toilet paper rolls.

I collect things of nature because of the beauty in all that He creates.

Your adornment must not be merely external—with interweaving and elaborate knotting of the hair, and wearing gold jewelry, or [being superficially preoccupied with] dressing in expensive clothes; but let it be [the inner beauty of] the hidden person of the heart, with the imperishable quality and unfading charm of a gentle and peaceful spirit, [one that is calm and self-controlled, not over anxious, but serene and spiritually mature] which is very precious in the sight of God. 
~ 1 Peter 3:3-4 [AMP] ~


2 comments:

  1. Love how you have stacked your rocks in the photo.
    The kitten does look a tad mischievous, you'll need to keep one step ahead for sure.
    Thanks for stopping by my blog. Hope you visit again soon. FMF #49

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm late in commenting on your post, as I followed you in the link up last week. I apologize! But, I love your reflections on the word collect! The rocks are a beautiful picture of your journey. Those cats can be collectors too. How cute! May God continue to light your path as you journey with Him and find more beautiful reminders to collect!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and reading my words...

All comments are moderated, so they will not appear immediately.